GLUTEN FREE EATS: A Dessert to Remember
There seems to be an uprising of people suffering at the hands of gluten! What is going on and why is this happening? I have been doing a little bit of reading on this topic and there seems to be a few different ideas as to why people are becoming more and more intolerant to gluten. I am not a nutritionist so I have no qualifications to really discuss the how’s and why’s but it is a concern and it makes you wonder what is going on with our food. Whatever the reason, I feel for my friends who have to give up food they love but I have good news – there are some fabulous recipes out there that are gluten free and dairy free.
We had some guests coming over for dinner and one was gluten free and the other was gluten and dairy free. I thought to myself, ‘now that’s a little tricky for dessert’. But as I researched and tweaked, I found a fabulous cake recipe that would meet the dietary needs of both guests.
I love discovering new recipes and new ways of preparing a recipe, so when I came across this orange and almond cake, I was sold!
It was so easy to make, I had all the ingredients in my cupboard and fridge and with each bite, my taste buds were doing a little dance!
Here is the recipe and I hope you too enjoy it as much as we did.
Orange & Almond Cake
1 cup caster sugar
3 cups almond meal
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cardamom
Juice and rind of 1 orange
½ cup caster sugar
¼ cup water
1 tablespoon almond essence
- Place oranges in a medium size pot covered with water; bring to boil and then lower to simmer for 2 hours. Drain and cut into chunks. Place in food processor and process until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 160*C and grease and line a 20cm springform cake tin with baking paper.
- Whisk eggs and sugar until thick and pale. Add almond meal, baking powder, spices and orange. Gently fold to combine.
- Pour mixture into prepared tin and smooth top. Bake for 1 hour, covering with foil if top is browning too quickly.
- In a small pan, add all ingredients for syrup. Bring to boil, turn down and simmer 5 minutes. Pour on cooled cake.